Saturday, April 12, 2014

Music in Worship Series: Part I: "Insignia of Baal?"

      Instruments in Christian Worship. What a relationship I have had with this topic my whole life. I remember sermons on the topic as a kid. One angle I loved about the sermons is it literally was the *only* time that the Reformers were cast in a good light in our church. LOL The quotes from John Calvin, Charles and John Wesley and especially the one from Martin Luther calling the organ  '...an insignia of Baal...' really rallied the troops to abhor instrumental music in worship. I loved the fact that for once these guys got a good rap in our sermons. "You go Martin Luther!!" I could say for once in the church house. :-)

It was actually this argumentation...the historical argument that kept me for YEARS, unable to worship with any instrumental accompaniment...and I'll discuss this more at length in a different post. It is actually a fascinating angle of Christian history...but more about that another day.

I think what bothered me the most over the years was how the judgement call to not have instruments, which is fine and even commendable, became Law in our particular fellowship and one we had no idea how to apply in our lives with any real consistency. So for the rest of  Part I, I'll just outline the major inconsistencies which set the stage over the years for me to dig deeper into this issue that has affected the body of Christ for centuries, even millennia, in some way or other:

1. Acappella-only in the Sunday/Wed. services or anytime the church is together in any setting?  Where does this leave funerals? weddings? camps? Chapel time in Christian schools?

I observed some congregations agreeing to use it in weddings *only if recorded and played over the system* with no actual instruments being brought into the building. Some allowed for the actual instruments saying that a wedding is not worship so it's okay. Funerals generally seemed to follow the same pattern...some congregations saying only recorded instrumental music is allowed but if live singing, must be without instruments. Others holding that we should honor the dead's musical preference and it's not worship so allow it. Camps/youth retreats? Who knows. All over the park on this one. During camp devos, generally no instruments...take it by the camp-fire under the stars w/a guitar and suddenly instrumental music is okay. But wait. Some say, if the camp song is not spiritual...yanno....just secular...use the guitar...if it's spiritual or mentions God at all...you must put the instrument down and praise God w/voice alone. What if God is just mentioned in 1 line of a generally secular song? What to do? Can I please just roast my marshmellows and praise God at the same time, please?? :-) lol

 2.   Then there's the angle of praise/worship in one's personal life. We had no idea what to do w/this. The general idea was to be consistent it was wrong *anywhere* if  the songs were hymns or praise type songs. Yet, I personally knew many brethren who listened to the Chuckwagon Gang in their homes...and other Old Time Gospel groups like Jim Reeves and the Statler brothers who swore the same songs done in Church could in fact, send their souls to hell. Man, was I confused! At least some brethren were more consistent...they refused to listen to *any* songs that were spiritual in nature at any level unless 100% without instrumental accompaniment. But these same folks would sing God Bless America w/instrumental accompaniment at events and I never saw them refuse to sing it even though the song is talking about God. Wowzas! Does it really have to be this hard to figure out? lol ;-)

   So I was left thinking that listening to secular music in my home celebrating superficial things of life was better than listening to the same musical genre type song singing about the eternal truths of life and pointing our minds Heavenward to our Sovereign Lord and King. I just couldn't buy this. Ever. Even as a youngster. And it bothered me folks could accept it so easily and unquestioningly. What bothered me more were my fellow young adults who listened to the "drinkin', carousin', fornicatin'" secular songs... singing along w/gusto but would suddenly refuse to sing if I turned on a Twila Paris song. I'm surprised I have hair left because I really did want to pull all of mine out over the years. Over. and Over again. I really should be bald. Good thing God gave me so much hair, I knew there had to be a reason. lol  :-)

3. Then there was the Acappella groups that caused us even more confusion. They did not use instruments. Were members of our movement. BUT they would use anatomical accompiment. They would clap, snap, bee-bop, stomp, whistle, even making their voices sound like DRUMS!!! What were we to do with THAT??? Voices that sound like instruments?? God help us, this is too much! They sounded like instruments but there were no instruments other than the voice and the body. Is the body an instrument? Can I tap my toes? Can I keep time w/my hand tapping the pew in front of me as long as it's not tapping an actual drum or piece of wood? Can I whistle or hum? Yet I can't blow into a flute and let *it* whistle? So as you can see, more confusion. We were divided on Acappella groups as well. Many refused to have anything to do with their recordings or their concerts. Other churches opened their doors to the concerts and sold their tapes/CD's in the foyer with gusto. lol *sigh*...now my head is spinning like a carnival carousel. lol

Then there's the Mom singing All Creatures Great and Small to her newborn babe...but wait. The baby's mobile over the crib is playing along. Does she turn off the mobile or not? :-)

My hope is whether you are in agreement w/my ultimate conclusions on the matter or not, that you'll find it refreshing to openly discuss this topic at all, whatever your conclusions. Most of us stuffed these thoughts into a locked vault out of fear of violent responses and emotional outbursts. So many would think the same thoughts but never ever discuss them. Preachers could lose jobs, Elders lose their positions by openly discussing these things. Men or whole families black listed.  I'm serious. Scary. There is humor to this topic, but also a darker under-belly. I hope whoever is reading this, you'll at least find my honestly and openness and willingness to discuss a 'sacred cow' topic somewhat refreshing.

Next time: Part II: The Bible and the 'Insignia of Baal' Stay tuned. This boat is about to start a-rockin' some more....in a good way...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment