Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Holy Spirit at Denny's

 Life usually goes pretty uneventfully, predictably, and 'normally' for the most part. Even so, there are these moments...these rare and beautiful moments that punctuate our lives with the clear message that God is not only in the 'big events' but He's also at work in the smallest of circumstances.

  We were going to meet Tye's parents at Denny's for dinner before Eowyn's recital last nite. Only a couple restaurants meet the criteria for food the children will actually eat, and Josiah's food allergy restrictions. Denny's it was. This was my first time to go to Denny's since moving up here.

  So we sat down, grabbed the menus, enjoyed light conversation and the normal family dinner banter. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed an older gal staring at us. I dismissed it at first, but my gaze kept drifting to her. She had stopped eating...she had a full plate in front of her of turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and broccoli...and was just picking at it with her fork...staring at us with this longing look in her eyes. She looked so sad. She sat alone. "Dear God," I thought, "this is the saddest thing I've ever seen." I felt in my heart I should go talk to her and invite her to sit with us but then pushed back the thought. Folks would think I'm weird. I told myself she probably wouldn't want to sit with a table of loud children and strangers anyway...but my heart ached.

  I'm so glad that Tye's parents are not chicken like I am. I should have known my ever observant, kind-hearted, generous, Mother-in-law would notice her, too. She whispered to my Father-in-law and bless them, he took action. He called the waitress over and told her to put her dinner on his tab and tell her it is from the children.

  I was already near tears, but from where I was sitting I could see her very clearly...and when the waitress went to talk to her she broke down in tears. Then the dam broke in my eyes. Couldn't help it. She walked over, with tears and hugged the kids and thanked them. I grabbed her, hugged her and told her to please come sit with us. She did not argue one bit.

 We would learn her husband had died 3 years before and she was just very lonely. This time of year is not easy on many people who share such loss. She said she could 'feel the love from the table'. She told us how she had survived a terminal cancer (non-Hogkins Lymphoma) in 1990 and credited all to the Lord. She exuded faith in God. She testified to his love, his healing, and his provision in her life. We ask her about church, wanting to make sure she had a local church family. She went on to tell how happy she was at one of the local community churches but that she never felt the need to belong to a religious denomination. "I'm His". She said. "That is what matters". Amen. 

 We sat there during dinner...she still was only picking at her food. Her hunger was not for food but rather to simply talk and share her stories, and enjoy human contact. She told us of her childhood and how neither parent went to church but God put the desire in her heart and she sought after him from her teen years. Beautiful stories. We just listened. She kept saying how much the evening was blessing her life, through tears.

She reminded me so much of my mother. If you know my Mom, you know how she exudes her faith, cannot help but talk about all the Lord has done and is doing for her...and she eats most dinners alone, too. We ask her her name. "Donna" she said. More tears. That's my mother's name.

Do I think it was sheer coincidence that we happened to choose Denny's that night? That we happened to be seated right by Donna? That we would notice her and that Tye' folks would feel compelled and have the courage to act? Do I think it was sheer luck that a believer needing encouragement would be strategically placed next to other believers who would understand her faith and welcome her talking about the Lord and his work in her life? I don't have the kind of faith it would require to believe all these things happened one-by-one, by mere chance. Chance would have to look identical to design.

What I believe is that God has a special place in his heart for children and widows. In scripture, in days of old, and here and now. He not only meets the basic needs of our lives...but he ministers to our broken hearts' needs. The widow who just needed some human touch, hugs, and to share family conversation over dinner. He's the God of his grand design and plan...a plan that includes the seemingly small, insignificant events...that in the scheme of eternity, perhaps count even more than the huge and obvious events of life.

Yes, the Spirit was at work at Denny's. Why would that surprise us? Our God is Sovereign and yet he is humble...and a servant. It is exactly in God's character to make dinner arrangements for his lonely child using other children of his own to bless her. He's the God of the Universe...that includes Denny's.

I hope she finished her dinner. We had to leave after an hour to get to the recital...but I and my mother-in-law gave her a long hug and I whispered this in her ear. "Moments like this are precious. They foreshadow wonderful things to come for us who believe".  She smiled with happy tears in her eyes.

At Heaven's banquet table some day, I will not be surprised at all if I look across the table and see in God's seating arrangement, Donna, sitting right there across the table from us...

Thank you Lord, for not being distant from us. Thank you for looking out for the lonely widow. Thank you for meeting us at Denny's last nite.

1 comment: